Saturday, January 30, 2010

Back again!

I'm falling into the daily routine of life here, classes on Monday for 2 hours (total, hallelujah) and then Tuesday through Thursday I head off to Sky News. As much as I do love my job, the commute can be annoying. I have to be into work by nine, and it's about an 1:15 minute commute. So I wake up at nine, walk to the Central Line at Chancery Lane, transfer to the Piccadilly Line at Holborn and sit, or stand, for about 40 minutes until I hit Osterley. Then I catch the Sky News shuttle from Osterley Station (or the Harrods shuttle) and I'm home free! Basically what it boils down to is that if I make it to the Piccadilly by 8, I'll get to work on time provided I don't miss the shuttle at the station. The commute actually reminds me a lot of what I did this summer (though I'm going city to suburbs now, instead of vice versa) but it's free! Thank god for unlimited Oyster Cards from Zones 1-4.

But anyway, nothing particularly exciting has gone on since I last typed- I went out Thursday night to the LSE pub and then a quaint pub called The Old Red Lion for a few drinks with Bhumi (flatmate) and Eric (a fellow Gopher).
Friday during the day Bhumi and I went down to SoHo and tried this vegan lunch buffet. Though Bhumi wasn't completely enamoured with the calibre of food, I stuffed my face. Walking was difficult, especially the getting out of the chair to do so part. Friday night very relaxed, we wrote cover letters and searched for internships to apply to.

This morning we headed out to the infamous Burough Market, which was kind of cool but kind of expensive. It's pretty easy to get to, right by the London Bridge Underground Station off the Northern Line. I bought epic bread pudding and some artichoke hearts, and Bhumi bought a bunch of fresh produce for relatively cheap. We decided to mix it up a little bit and take the bus home, which may not have been the best idea because we were nearly frozen by the time it got to us! However, it was pretty cool to sit on the top of a double decker bus for the first time. But take note- make sure you hold on when going up and down the stairs. I almost killed myself when the bus started moving as I was going up the steps!
The ride almost ended in catastrophe, too, when we got off the bus, I looked down, and I realized that I had. no. purse. Cue freak out. I looked up to see the bus driving away, briefly shrieked "I left my purse!" and took off running. Luckily for me, the bus driver had to stop at a red light just down the road. I did the frantic knocking on the bus door and miming what a purse looked like and he graciously let me onto the bus, drove another block, and dropped me off again. All the while Bhumi was dying of laughter on the sidewalk.

Anyway! Tonight we're heading off to the Afterschool Club (at least that's the plan right now) so we'll see how that goes...the goal is to meet Brits, hopefully! :D


  1. I'm glad your blog readers get to know so much about me. I'm honored.

  2. As you should be, clearly. They need to meet the people who keep me sane(ish).