Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Eyjafjallajokull plans on keeping me in London

My flight from Heathrow to Newark was on the 17th of April.  Unfortunately, this Icelandic volcano decided that instead it wanted to erupt on the 14th and emit a huge cloud of volcanic ash and subsequently ground ALL flights from the UK.  So, here I am.  Crashing in my friend's dorm room for the fifth night in a row and praying that tomorrow the third time really is a charm.  After having my flight initially rescheduled for today at 6:30pm and then cancelled (again) I'm booked on a flight at the same time tomorrow, the 21st.  Only 4 days after I was supposed to leave initially, so better than most I guess.  Reports of new eruptions keep popping up, and I really have no idea when the airspace is actually going to be opened.  They were going to open up Scotland this morning but that plan was put on hold when the new ash cloud rolled in.

Supposedly Gordon Brown is deploying ships to retrieve stranded Brits abroad (though not yet from the US, guess it's too far?) and if he decides to extend those ships to the US I really consider hopping aboard.  So far, I have heard no news about what the US is doing to get citizens home from abroad... I guess they're very limited, seeing as anything they attempted to do would take a significant amount of time to reach the UK in the first place.  But still.  THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING. 

Hopefully, I get home soon.  Everyone cross their fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment